"We are keenly aware of our role as a destination and resource for the families and children of Boston," said Carole Charnow, Museum President & CEO. "We are grateful to our sponsors and the City of Boston who have made it possible for us to celebrate our birthday city-wide. Enhancing the quality of life in our urban neighborhoods is intrinsic to our mission and vision, and we hope all of Boston's kids will join us this summer!"
The Big Cake Birthday Tour will incorporate a series of fun physical challenges developed in consultation with leading fitness and nutrition experts. Children and adults can check out a pedometer and track how much they move as they visit stations such as "Strength in Numbers" (challenging participants to hold a pose) and "Tag Hacking" (variations on classic tag games). The "course" will end with a secret surprise inside the actual Big Cake. In partnership with New Balance, the course will encourage all visitors to increase their physical activity in enjoyable ways, inspiring lifelong active habits. Boston Children's Museum and New Balance want to inspire movement, games and dances that could be replicated later at home or in the park.
The Museum is grateful for the generous support of Tour sponsors: Suffolk Construction, The Fallon Company, New Balance, BNY Mellon, CBS Boston's WBZ-TV and myTV38 (WSBK-TV), Massachusetts Cultural Council, and The Boston Foundation.
"Our partnership with Boston Children's Museum this summer will allow families to take part in fun learning activities right in their neighborhoods," said Antonia Pollak, Boston Parks and Recreation Commissioner. "We are pleased that the Museum is helping the City of Boston get children outside to reconnect with nature and enjoy free activities in our parks."
Big Cake Birthday Tour Stops Include:
- Boston Children's Museum - Launch, Wednesday, July 10 / 12:30 - 2:30pm
- Boston Common - Outside the Box Festival, Saturday, July 13 / 11am - 2pm
- Jamaica Pond/Pinebank, Jamaica Plain - Boston Landmarks Orchestra, Sunday, July 14 / 3 - 6pm
- Hunt/Almont Park, Mattapan - Mayor Menino's Movie Nights featuring "The Express", Monday, July 29 / 5 - 7:30pm
- Boston Children's Museum – Highland Street Foundation Free Fun Friday, Friday, August 2 / 10am - 4pm
- Marcella Park, Roxbury - Jazz at the Fort, Sunday, August 4 / 4 - 6pm
- Medal of Honor Park/M Street, South Boston - Mayor Menino's Movie Nights featuring "Miracle", Monday, August 5 / 5 - 7:30pm
- Mary Hannon Park, Dorchester - DSNI Multicultural Fair, Saturday, August
- 10 / 12 - 4pm
- Blackstone Park, South End - Mayor Menino's Movie Nights featuring "Paranorman", Monday, August 12 / 5 - 7:30pm
- East Boston Greenway/Caboose - ParkARTS Tito Puente Latin Music Series, Thursday, August 15 / 5 - 7pm
- Billings Field, West Roxbury - Mayor Menino's Movie Nights featuring "We Are Marshall", Monday, August 19 / 5 - 7:30pm
- Franklin Park, Dorchester - ParkSCIENCE Children's Festival, Tuesday, August 20 / 10am - 2pm
- Iacono Park, Hyde Park - Mayor Menino's Movie Nights featuring "ET", Monday, August 26 / 5 - 7:30pm
- Boston Children's Museum - Boston Harbor Tour - Centennial Gala Weekend, Saturday, October 5
At the end of the tour, Boston Children's Museum will tether the inflatables to a barge for a tour of Boston Harbor. The cake and milk bottle will arrive by water in front of the Museum for an evening ceremony.
The Museum is challenging all of us to get moving this summer by thinking of new and exciting ways to play with hula hoops, balls, jump ropes and more. There might even be some dancing!